Monday, February 2, 2009

Sunday Chicken and Dumplings

Ok, I meant to take a picture of our delicious dinner, but when you are busy feeding a hungry group, you tend to forget silly things like that.

Anyhow, dinner was a success....to a degree, but I will get to that.

Here is the recipe for our Chicken and Dumplings

1 whole fryer chicken
1 10.5 oz can of cream of mushroom soup
1 10.5 oz can of cream of chicken soup
1 14 oz can of chicken broth
handful of diced onion
handful of chopped celery
salt and pepper to taste
6 lg tortillas, cut into 1 1/2 inch squares

I put the chicken into a large baking dish with a lid. I put both soups and the broth into a mixing bowl, stirred well and then poured over the chicken. I tossed in the veggies and the cut tortillas.

I put the lid on the pan and baked it all morning in my oven at 250 degrees. When we came home, we heated up canned green beans, sliced some bread and enjoyed our dinner. We could have added a salad, but we were especially late getting home from church and I was too tired (ie lazy).

Now, the comment above regarding to a degree...the girls and I didn't mind the funny little dumplings. However, my husband thought they tasted like the consistency of "chicken fat", so we may change this a little the next time we make it.

After dinner, I deboned the rest of the chicken, added a few more veggies, the left over green beans and two pints of my already cooked rice. I added one more can of chicken broth and rinsed it with water, also adding that to the pot. I put the lid back on, put it back in the oven and we had a ready made supper later in the evening.

Today's menu is beans, cornbread, fried taters and pork chops. I am currently cooking 8 cups of pinto beans. We will eat all we want tonight, have refried beans for tomorrows taco salad and I will still have enough to make bread with.

Hope you are being inspired to be a prudent keeper at home.

Take care,
Elizabeth

No comments: