Friday, August 8, 2008

TRUTH

We watched a movie this past week and both the beginning and the end had this quote:
"Truth is in the mind of the teller." We thought it was rather funny at the time. But through the course of this week, as I have really thought about this phrase, I realized the great fallacy in the statement. It plays right into the modern thinking that says "truth is all relative."

I will grant, that in some cases, the perspective and the views of many individuals watching a singular event may vary in degrees of accuracy. But, in life as a whole, truth is not relative. Let me repeat myself. Truth is not relative. Only perspective can be relative.

I guess my concern with this statement comes from my experience of the week. See, as the Lord has been allowing difficulties into my life, I have gotten to see how "relative truth" can be so destructive. "Relative truth" can destroy people. "Relative truth" can tear apart families. "Relative truth" is no truth at all.

In the midst of my deep sorrow this week, I was reading my Bible and happened upon these verses:
I have chosen the way of truth;
I have set my heart on your laws.
I hold fast to your statutes, O LORD;
do not let me be put to shame.
I run in the path of your commands,
for you have set my heart free.
(Psalm 119:30-32)




There is absolute truth. It is found in the Word of God. There is absolute truth and God knows what it is. You can deny the truth. You can pretend the truth doesn't exist. You can say that the truth isn't really a part of your life. Ultimately, you're wrong. Whether you deny Truth or accept Truth, it exists. It's not a matter of your feelings, your perspective or your knowledge. It makes no difference how many degrees you hold or your position and title that you bear. Truth is truth.


In another movie, Mary Poppins, Mr Banks is quoted as saying: "Madam, kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with facts!" I experienced that this week. And for the time, evil and lies seem to have gained the upper hand. But, look at verse 32 again, that last phrase:
"For you have set my heart free."
Where there is truth, real truth, there is freedom. No matter how you perceive life, no matter what your perspective may be, when there is Truth, you are free.
"If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples.
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."
(John 8:31-32)

There is nothing so sweet in this world as having this freedom, freedom from a guilty conscience, freedom from judgement, freedom from having to remember who you told what to, freedom to live and serve and love in complete joy and peace.

Jesus Christ is the author of this Truth. Without Him, there is no truth. And if you follow His truth, you can experience the same benefits. I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Elizabeth

*all pictures were taken at Cathedral Falls, WV.



No comments: