Thursday, June 26, 2008

New Every Morning


From the reading this morning in Streams in the Desert:
"For what if some did not believe? shall their unbelief make the faith of God without effect?" (Romans 3:3)
" I think I can trace every scrap of sorrow in my life to simple unbelief. How could I be anything but quite happy if I believed always that all the past is forgiven, and all the present furnished with power, and all the future bright with hope because of the same abiding facts which do not change with my mood, do not stumble because I totter and stagger at the promise through unbelief, but stand firm and clear with their peaks of pearl cleaving the air of Eternity, and the bases of their hills rooted unfathomably in the Rock of God. Mont Blanc does not become a phantom or a mist because a climber grows dizzy on its side." James Smetham.
Do you struggle with unbelief? I know I do. I wonder if He really hears me, if He is going to answer my prayer. The problem is not with God but with me. My own unbelief. Oh, God that you would teach me to believe!
Elizabeth

No comments: